Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sweet Scent of Happiness


One of the things I love to do is make strawberry jam. I love the sweet scent all around the house. And in the end you get tasty jam. The recipe I have is pretty straigth forward and simple.

Strawberries 2.5 cups
Sugar 1.25 cups
2-3 slices of lemon

1. Wash the strawberries and remove the hulls.
2. Put the strawberries in a large pot and pour the sugar over them. Let it sit over night.
3. Sterilize the jars and get them ready.
4. The next morning, put in the lemon slices.
5. On high heat boil the ingredients. Use a ladle to remove the foam.
6. Turn the heat down to below medium and let simmer for more than 20 minutes, until it thickens.
7. Remove the lemon slices and while the jam is still hot, pour into the jars.
8. Lightly close the lid and play the jar in cool water. This removes the air in the jar and vacuum seals the lid.
9. Tighten the lid.

We're still eating the jam I made last April. This jam is not for shelf storage, it must be refrigerated. I'm not the expert on canning, but this is one of the things I would love to learn more about.



While the jam was simmering, guess what I was working on.

I'll let you know on my next post!

3 comments :

  1. Oh I need to do some raspberry jam soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I need to find some good strawberries then I'm all over the jam thing. So, do you freeze it? I've only ever done freezer jam. Once we did apple pie filling with the whole boiling and sealing cans process. It was kind of overwhelming and scary. I should try again. I'll just let you try and give me helpful hints first.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin